Genesis Developer Features
Genesis enhances WordPress with powerful features that site owners love.
For your clients #
Developers using Genesis can offer their clients these features without having to build them from scratch or install additional plugins:
- Selectable page and archive layouts, including full-width, content-sidebar, sidebar-content and more. More on Genesis Layouts.
- Accessible HTML markup and other accessibility considerations.
- Great SEO by default, with schema.org markup and SEO options that require no additional plugins unless you choose to use your own.
- Custom widgets for User Profile, Features Posts, and Featured Page.
- A range of extendable theme options such as how archives are displayed.
- Gutenberg Optimized child themes that you can build upon and adapt. See Genesis child themes.
The Tenon accessibility team found Genesis-powered WordPress sites are the most accessible in their survey of content management systems and frameworks.
For developers #
Genesis offers features for busy developers too:
- Genesis provides a battle-tested HTML structure by default to help you avoid SEO and accessibility pitfalls when hand-writing HTML from scratch, and to accelerate the development cycle.
- The Genesis Theme Setup API is a theme setup wizard for Genesis child themes that enables you to install plugins and set up sample homepage and page content upon theme activation.
- The Genesis Configuration API lets you override Genesis configuration in your child theme, and store your own PHP configuration centrally in your theme's
- Genesis offers a wealth of theme support options to enhance your custom child theme with Genesis features. These also simplify the addition of common site functionality such as footer and after-post widget areas.
- A starter child theme called Genesis Sample to use as a starting point for your Genesis powered sites.
- Constants, filters, actions, and helper functions to control the output of Genesis child themes with minimal and maintainable code.
- A vibrant Genesis community to get help and share your feedback.
- A documented contribution process via GitHub.
- A release history dating back to January 2010 and a bright roadmap.